Wednesday, June 18, 2008

New Live Phish Release: 7/22/97 Walnut Creek, Raleigh, NC

This looks pretty nasty. From Live Phish:

"On July 22, 1997 Phish performed the second show of their United States summer tour at Walnut Creek Amphitheatre in Raleigh, NC. During the show, a thunderstorm of biblical Proportion passed directly over the venue letting loose a torrential downpour of rain, thunder and lightning that accentuated the electric nature of the event. The fearsome peaks of the storm synchronized with the peaks of the music, blurring the lines between band and storm. The most sensible course of action was to cancel the gig for safety's sake, but instead the band played through the Appalachian tempest in a thrilling confluence of art and nature. PHISH - WALNUT CREEK documents the collision between a force as imaginative and powerful as Phish in the summer of 1997 and the supreme forces of Creation. This show was hazardous and soaked to the bone but fortunately the tapes - captured from the multi-camera lawn feed and 5.1 audio - remained dry enough to provide the masters for this release, which showcases some of the most potent jamming and scintillating transitions of Phish's career."

Setlist (via Phish.net)

1: Runaway Jim-> My Soul, Water in the Sky, Stash, Bouncing Around the Room, Vultures, Bye Bye Foot, Taste*

2: Down With Disease**-> Mike's Song-> Simple-> I Am Hydrogen#-> Weekapaug Groove##-> Hello My Baby

E: When the Circus Comes, Harry Hood

*Band jams with a lightning storm, which eventually forces the set to end early.
**With "Papa Was a Rolling Stone" (Temptations) quote.
#Mike's bass is out of tune at the end.
##With "I Am Hydrogen" and "Mother" (Pink Floyd) teases.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember people mud sliding down the hill on the lawn, and security trying to stop them without success. My parents wouldn't let me go on tour so I decided to run away and go see some shows. This was the first show of the tour for me and is burned into my memory. We were a couple rows back from cover in the pavilion and we got drenched. A few more rows would have kept us dry, but we didn't care. Great set, the highlight for me was bye bye foot, and the 20+ minute Down with disease. I also remember lighting strikes all around during the show. Pretty crazy!